Another simple tofu dish I like to cook - steamed tofu with mince and spinach. There are several versions I usually cooked - mince with shiitake mushroom, mince with seafood, and mince with preserved vegetables. I am introducing a new ingredient to my boy - wolfberry, so added some into the topping.
As it was meant for John, light seasoning for the topping but I added some chopped garlic and ginger. Not sure if other parents add garlic in toddler's meal but I definitely like it, for its health benefits and aroma. John seemed ok with it, he ate sliced garlic cooked with stir-fried vegetable too.
Ingredients (2-3 servings):
1 tube of Japanese Tofu
80g minced chicken or pork
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp light soy sauce
Pinch of ground white pepper (optional)
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp corn flour + extra for dusting
2 tbsp chopped spinach + extra (optional)
Fried shallot slices for garnish (optional)
- Divide tofu into 6 or 8 pieces, use a spoon and dig a well in the middle of each piece. Set aside for later use.
- Mash odd-cut tofu and those dug up from (1), mash and mix together with mince. Add in all other ingredients except fried shallot.
- Divide and shape mince into 6 or 8 equal small balls.
- Lightly dust each "well" on tofu with corn flour, place a mince ball in it. Sprinkle extra chopped spinach around tofu pieces.
- Steam in preheated steamer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fried shallot and drizzle some shallot oil over the top (optional).