Vinegar Pork Trotter (猪脚醋)

Vinegar Pork Trotter

This is one of my mom's signature dishes, it was first introduced to T during my confinement month early this year. He ate more than me, I was happy that he finished all those fatty stuff. I cooked it upon T's request actually, he asked for it since we came back from my sis place two weeks ago. He always has craving for food, like an expecting mom!

I served it in a small claypot, and over portable stove during dinner. T just loved it. I gave our little sumo a sip of the soup, he was like going to throw up! Funny expression. Surprisingly, he did not refuse the second sip. If you are new to this dish, it is one of the typical confinement dishes offer to new mommies among Chinese community.

Vinegar Pork Trotter

* * *

This is scheduled post, I am on holiday... yooohooo!

# # # # # recipe updated on 18 Dec 2008 # # # # #

Ingredients (3-4 servings):

  • 1 kg pork trotter, chopped into serving size
  • 250g ginger, washed and crushed
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil or cooking oil
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 1 cup black vinegar (I used "永春" brand, family's favourite brand)
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar (adjust the amount to taste)

Methods:

  1. Heat oil in a large pot, stir in garlic and ginger. Saute until fragant.
  2. Add in pork trotter, stir-fry to sear all side if possible. Add in water and bring to boil.
  3. Once water is boiled, drop in eggs and add in vinegar. Bring to boil again then add in brown sugar.
  4. Let it simmer for an hour or so, add salt to taste and let it simmer for futher 10 minutes. Serve warm with steamed rice.

Notes:

  • Ask butcher for trotter with less fat, and remember to ask him to chop it.
  • Boil the pork trotter for a few minutes before cooking to remove blood and dirts.
  • If you like more ginger taste, add more ginger. My mom cooked it with lots of gingers!
  • Add brown sugar in batches so you can control the sweetness, some people may not like sweet one.

Comments :

6 comments to “Vinegar Pork Trotter (猪脚醋)”
mycookinghut said...
on 

I love this dish, Lydia!! Especially the hard boiled eggs... aiyaya, just a bowl of boiled rice will do for me :)
Have a wonderful holidays!

tigerfish said...
on 

I will have the egg first, too.

Lydia said...
on 

Leemei:
Actually I am not a big fan of this dish but T loves it. I'm glad that he loves all those "real chinese" dishes. :D
Thanks. We jalan2 Malaysia quite a bit recently.

tigerfish:
Please don't fight for egg!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...
on 

I remembered I eat this quite alot during my confinement. But I dont like it actually.
I might ok with the soup, but not the meat.

Anonymous said...
on 

it simply looks delicious!

can we have the recipe plssssssss...

thanks!!

Lydia said...
on 

Joanne:
It's ok for me once a while, didn't like it during confinement, my mom cooked so many times! Luckily T loved it. :D

Anonymous:
Recipe updated, happy cooking!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 

Please Ask First

© 2005 - 2014 by Lydia Teh My Kitchen All Rights Reserved Do NOT republish any or part of contents and photographs without prior written consent from My Kitchen. E-mail: lydia_teh[at]yahoo[dot]com

Free subscription to MK, enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner