Yohoo... durian season is here! Lets begin the durian feast. I did not have any chances to feast on durian for the past three years when living in Sydney. So... this year is time for revenge! Actually durian is also available in Sydney, but they are all frozen Thai durian which are less "smelly". Since some of you may be new to durian, I have insert a link to wikipedia, where detailed description and information about durian is available.
I have submitted this photo for June-08 CLICK event: CLICK YELLOW. This month’s CLICK is linked to a BREAST CANCER FUNDRAISER for Briana Brownlow of Figs with Bri. Please visit Jugalbandi for detailed information on photography contest and donation to Briana.
Sponge Cake Base
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ovalette (optional)
⅓ cup castor sugar
¼ cup cold milk (full cream)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
- Line and grease a 8” spring form baking pan. Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- Beat eggs for 1 minute, add in ovalette and sugar then continue to beat until the mixture is pale in colour.
- Stir in milk and vanilla essence, fold in sifted flour and salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, cool on rack.
1 cup milk
1½ tsp agar-agar powder (mix with ¼ cup water)
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp custard powder
½ tbsp gelatine powder (dilute in 2 tbsp hot water)
½ cup durian puree (I added some chunk)
- Heat milk with sugar until it boils. Add in agar-agar mixture and bring to boil.
- Turn the heat down, add in egg yolks and custard powder. Cook until it thickens
- Stir in gelatine mixture and durian puree. Mix until well blended.
1. Trim the top of the sponge cake if desired.
2. Place the cake back into the spring form pan, pour in pudding mixture.
3. Cool and keep in refrigerator before serving.